Frequently Asked Questions

Animal Shelter

What is the location and contact information for LCAS (Lumpkin County Animal Shelter)?

  • Address: 1363 Red Oak Flats Road
    Dahlonega, Georgia 30533
  • Phone: 706-867-7297
    706-973-9411 (Dan Bowers – Friends of Lumpkin County Animal Shelter)
  • Fax: 706-867-7299
  • Email: (Eddy Harris / Shelter Director) (Dan Bowers – Friends of Lumpkin County Animal Shelter)

What are the Shelter’s hours of operation?

Open to Public for Adoptions: Tuesday – Saturday 10:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Open to Volunteers: Monday – Saturday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM

How do I get to the Animal Shelter?

  • Follow Hwy 400 North into Lumpkin County until you reach the intersection of Hwy 60. (You will see Home Depot on the top left corner).
  • Take a right onto Hwy 60 South toward Gainesville. Go approximately one mile and take a left on the first road – Red Oak Flats Road.
  • Follow Red Oak Flats Road for approximately 1.5 miles.
  • The shelter will be on your left.

Will LCAS come out to pick up stray / surrendered animals?

LCAS does not pick up animals outside the shelter. Please contact your local Animal Control Department.
Lumpkin County Sherrif/Animal Control : 706-864-0414
Hall County Animal Control: 706-531-6830
Dawson County: 706-265-9160

Is there a fee to surrender my animal to the Shelter?

There is no fee to surrender a stray or abandoned animal, however, the owner/guardian MUST be a resident of Lumpkin County to surrender at LCAS. Donations are greatly appreciated and encouraged. There is a $25 fee to surrender an owner-surrender animal.

When you have my lost pet?

Please come to our facility and do the following:

  • Check the Animal Control Log for recent intakes
  • Check the bulletin board for any “found” animals
  • Fill out form at desk with all of the pet and owner information

Can I view LCAS animals online?

YES! Please see one of the below websites:

I lost my pet. Can you help me find it?

You can visit our website to report a lost pet or if you don’t have internet access you can visit our facility to:

  • check animal control log
  • check bulletin board for found animals

I have found a lost animal. If I don’t want to surrender it to the shelter, what can I do to find the owner?

  • Take the animal to a vet or our shelter to check for a microchip.
  • Check LCAS bulletin board for the “lost” animal
  • Get descriptive information on the animal; where it was found and owner contact information.
  • Create a “FOUND” poster to be placed on our LCAS bulletin board

What is the cost of adoption and what does it include?

Dogs (Fee – $90.00) Includes:

  • Health screening by a veterinarian
  • 1st worming
  • 2nd de-worming for puppies
  • 1st distemper vaccine
  • 1st parvovirus vaccine
  • 1st parainfluenza
  • Corono
  • Bordetella
  • 30 days free health insurance
  • 24Pet Watch microchip
  • Spaying or neutering at a participating vet
  • Rabies (provided by veterinarian)


Cats (Fee – $60.00) Includes:

  • Health screening by a vet
  • 1st distemper vaccine
  • 1st rhinotracheites vaccine
  • 1st Chlamydia vaccine
  • 1st Rabies vaccine
  • FIV/feLK test
  • 1st worming
  • Spaying or neutering at a participating vet
  • 24Pet Watch microchip
  • 30 days free health insurance

Can you provide discounted or free spay/neuter for my animal?

  • The Atlanta Spay and Newter Bus visits our shelter and charges a fee of $20.00. Please contact the shelter for an appointment.
  • The” Turnaround Program” process, involves the owner surrendering the animal to the shelter and turning around and adopting (at normal fees) the same animal to take advantage of the reduced vet bills covering the spay/neuter.

Is an advertised animal still available?

Check the large whiteboard first

Can the shelter supply food?


Can you provide me with information regarding shelter staff?

Any request for information on shelter staff must be referred to the county human resources.

Will the shelter accept animals other than cats and dogs, such as rabbits?

No, the shelter only accepts dogs and cats.

If my animal is picked up by animal control, what do I have to pay to retrieve my animal?

There is a $50.00 fee if the dog is retrieved the same day as intake. There is a $10.00/day fee for each overnight the animal spends at LCAS, plus $20.00 to microchip the animal

How do I obtain a microchip for my dog/cat?

There is a $20.00 fee. The procedure takes approximately 10 minutes and is not painful to the animal. The microchip is placed between the shoulder blades.

Do you provide veterinary services once my animal leaves LCAS?

No, once the animal leaves LCAS, you must obtain veterinary services from a licensed vet.

Elections & Voter Registration

Am I registered to vote?

View this webpage or call, come in, or e-mail us.

Which precinct am I in and how do I get there?

View this webpage or the map on our page or call, come in, or e-mail us.

What Board of Commissioners District/Board of Education District am I in?

View the pap on our page or call, come in, or e-mail us.

Where are the election results?

Our page, “Downloads”, “Election Results” then by year and then by election – however if it is a current election, it will be listed under downloads as a category “11 2 10 General Election Information” then “Results” then either by “Summary” or “By Precinct” for example.

Where can I get a sample ballot?

Our page, “Downloads”, Election Results” then by year and then by election. Also sample ballots are printed in the paper the Wednesday prior to the election. Sample ballots can also be obtained at the Election and Voter Registration Office.

Where is Early Voting and what are the hours?

Early Voting for general and primary elections begins 22 days prior to the election, M-F, 8-5, currently at the Lumpkin County Election & Registration Office, 56 Short Street, Dahlonega. Early Voting for special and runoff elections begins as early as the ballots are received, but at least by Monday of the week prior to the election.

How can I request an absentee ballot?

Online here OR picking up the application in our office, calling to have the application mailed to you, or by simply writing on a piece of paper your full name, date of birth, residence address, as well as the address you wish for the ballot to be mailed, which election and if a primary, which party’s ballot you wish to receive as well as your signature. All applications may be mailed, faxed or hand delivered to our office. We will compare the signature with that on your voter registration application, and, if it matches, you will receive an absentee ballot. All requests must be turned in by the Friday prior to the election. You may begin requesting an absentee ballot 180 days (6 months) prior to the election.

How do I know if my absentee ballot application was accepted or find out when my ballot was mailed out?

View this webpage OR call or e-mail our office.

Can I turn my absentee ballot in at the polls or at the Early Voting poll?

No. You must turn your ballot in by: mail or in person in our office. If someone is turning the ballot in for you, they must sign as assisting on the oath and you must have a disability which would prevent you from either mailing or bringing the ballot yourself.

What is the deadline for absentee ballots being turned back in?

Absentee ballots must be in our office by 7:00 pm election night unless you are a family member of or a military service member or an overseas citizen, then you have until the last mail run the Friday following the election.

Do I have to request an absentee ballot every election, or will you just send me one every election?

Elderly (75 or older), voters with disabilities, military service members and their families and overseas citizens only have to turn in one application per election year to receive all ballots for that year. This rule applies to all elections except the Presidential Preference Primary, which requires a separate application. All other voters must turn in an absentee ballot request for every election they wish to vote absentee.

I registered a long time ago and haven’t voted, am I still able to vote?

If you have not voted in the past two general elections (a general election takes place every even numbered year), your record becomes inactive. After being inactive for three years, your record is automatically deleted by the Secretary of State.


Who are my representatives and how can I contact them?

View this webpage and there is a list available on our web page which includes the local level officials “Downloads”, “Elected Officials”

How can I become a poll worker?

Go to our web page, “Downloads”, “Poll worker forms and information” complete the application/survey and submit it, read the poll worker manual and make sure it is something you wish to do. If there is an opening in your precinct, or one close to you, you will be notified by phone and/or e-mail notifying you of the time and place of the state mandated training.


What is the average voter turnout for Lumpkin County?

See our page, “Downloads”, “Voter Turnout Statistics”


How many registered voters are there in Lumpkin County?

See our page, “Downloads” , “Voter Registration Statistics”


What do you do when you aren’t having an election?

Our monthly activity report lists the office activities and is found under “Downloads”, “Monthly Report of Office Activity”

GIS & Mapping

Why doesn’t my address/road show up on GPS units or internet mapping sites?

Many GPS units and internet mapping sites obtain their road and address information primarily from two private providers; Naveteq and Teleatlas. Both companies have map change/error reporting websites at and

How do I report errors in the County mapping?

For errors in the Lumpkin County GIS sites please email or call the Lumpkin County GIS Department at or (706) 864-6894. For errors on GPS units or internet mapping sites, please contact that specific company.

Where can I get a road map of Lumpkin County?

You can purchase a county road atlas book (8.5×11″) or a wall map (36×48″) in the Planning Department, 25 Short St, Dahlonega, GA 30533. A digital version of the wall road map and other maps are available online for free in the map gallery here.

Where can I get an aerial photo map of my property?

You can use our interactive online mapping site here , or stop by the Assessor’s Office and use our public mapping computer to print a map for $5. You can also order a printed map from the GIS Department, 25 Short St, Dahlonega, GA 30533, (706)864-6894. Prices for the map prints vary, see price schedule.

How can I obtain GIS Data or Lidar data for Lumpkin County?

You can purchase GIS & Lidar data from the GIS Department. A price schedule can be found here. An order form for GIS data can be found here.

Parks & Recreation

Can I make special request as to my coach and other players?

No, we have so many participants it would be difficult to guarantee all requests.

Does P&R supply trophies for my child at the end of the year?

No, we leave that up to the coaches and team moms.

Are pictures included in my registration fee?

No, pictures are an additional fee.

Are the games canceled today?

Call the Weather Line at 867-1664

Can you give me some information on your Afterschool Program?

We have an ASP in all three schools from 2:30-6:00pm

  • $15 One time Reg. Fee
  • $15/one day
  • $30/two days
  • $40/three-five days

Can I register online?

Yes, at the Parks & Rec. page.

Do you take Credit or Debit Cards?

Right now we only accept cash or check unless you register online.

What are your hours?

8am-6pm Monday- Friday

Does Park and Rec rent meeting rooms?

Yes, please call 706-864-3622 for rate and more information.

Can I rent pavilions in Yahoola Creek Park?

Yes, please call 706-864-3622 for rate and more information.


Where can I get a copy of my property plat or deed?

You can get a copy of a recorded plat or deed for a property at the Clerk of Courts office. There office is located in the Judicial Center at 325 Riley Rd, Dahlonega, GA 30533. Their phone number is (706)864-3736.

What do I need to do to record my plat?

Plats need to be reviewed and approved by the Lumpkin County Planning Department before they can be recorded in the Clerk of Courts office.

What activities do I need a permit for?

Any person who shall erect, construct, alter, install, demolish or move any structure, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.

How do I get a building permit?

You may obtain a building permit through the planning office by providing the department with a plat of your property and a description of the work to be permitted. For new home construction a septic permit, a recorded plat of the property and a site plan showing driveway, septic, setbacks, and structure location needs to be provided. If you are within 200 feet of state waters an erosion control plan will also need to be submitted.

What are the stream buffers?

Stream buffers are 25 feet for warm water streams and 50 feet for Primary and secondary trout waters. Contact the Lumpkin County Planning Office to see if the stream is designated as warm water, Primary or Secondary.

Can I disturb the land within the stream buffers?

You cannot disturb inside a buffer without a buffer variance from the GA. Environmental Protection Division. Contact the Lumpkin County Planning Department prior to any disturbance within a stream buffer. Penalties could be stiff and are enforceable locally and through the state.

Do I need a sign permit?

Yes, all signs need to be permitted in Lumpkin County through the Planning Department; however, there is currently a moratorium on new signs in the County.

Do I need a Business License (Occupational Tax Certificate)?

Any person within the unincorporated areas of the county who engages in or causes to be engaged in and/or represents himself to be engaged in any occupation or activity with the object of gain, benefit or advantage either directly or indirectly. Any person advertising by means, including, but not limited to, signs, cards, telephone books, circulars and newspapers, that he is engaged in any business of any kind, shall be liable for the appropriate occupation tax required. This includes peddlers, solicitors, transient merchants, mobile vendors and roadside vendors.

What/When can I burn?

Trash or Household waste cannot be burned in Lumpkin County. Yard debris can be burned with a burn permit during certain times of the year (Oct 1 – Apr 31) and under the right weather conditions. Call 1-800-OK-2-BURN or visit to get a burn permit.

What are the building setbacks in Lumpkin County?

Setbacks in Lumpkin County are 20 feet on side and rear property lines and 50 feet from any road or easement not located in a subdivision in the front. Inside subdivisions the setback is 30 feet from the roads and easements.

Does Lumpkin County have zoning?

Lumpkin County currently has a performance based zoning referred to as the Lumpkin County Land Use Code which is a non traditional type of zoning that regulates uses through setbacks and buffers.

How do I get my private road turned over to the County?

There is an application and procedure for a private road to be adopted by the County. The application can be found here. Return completed application to the Planning Department, 25 Short St, Dahlonega, GA 30533.

How can I get an address?

Addresses are only assigned to structures, not land. An address is typically assigned during the building permit inspection process. To get an official e911 address assigned to a structure, or if you feel there is an error in addressing, please contact the Planning Department, (706) 864-6894.

Why is it important to post my address on my house?

Emergency responders need to be certain they are responding to the correct structure in the event of emergency. During an emergency situation, it is vital to be able to locate structures quickly when every second counts.

Roads & Bridges

Is the road department hiring?

There are no openings available at the road department at the present time. Job openings should be listed on the county web site.

How many Lumpkin County employees are assigned to the road department?

There are currently thirteen full-time employees and one part-time employee at the road department.

Does the road department have wood chips?

Yes. We usually have chips available, free to the public at the recycle center located at 1642 Red Oak Flats Rd.

How many miles of road does the road department maintain?

There are more than 400 miles of county roadway in Lumpkin County. We have 337 miles of paved roads and 75 miles of unpaved roads.

Why are some street signs green and others blue?

All county road name signs should have a green background with white lettering. Privately maintained road name signs should be blue with white lettering.

How can I get a good Lumpkin County road map?

The Lumpkin County Planning office has maps for sale to the public. Black and white wall maps are available for $10.00, color wall maps for $25.00. They also have a Lumpkin County Road Atlas for $15.00.

Why does it take so long for the mowers to get to my road?

With more than 400 miles of county road and a shoulder on each side of each road, you wind up with around 800 miles of shoulder to maintain.

Senior Center

How old do you have to be to come to the Lumpkin County Senior Center?

Sixty (60) years old for the nutrition program.
Fifty five (55) years old for the activities.

Do you provide transportation?

Yes, to those who are in the nutrition program.

What do you do at the Senior Center?

Eat, have fun, exercise, play games, bingo, parties, socialize, fellowship and more.

Do you take trips?

Only day trips: local restaurants, Walmart, RiteAid, J&J, Post Office, Banks etc.

How do I find out more information?

Call the senior center @ 706-864-2358

How do I signup for Meals on Wheels?

You can call the senior center at 706-864-2358 and they will take your information for a referral or you can call Legacy Link at 770-538-2650 and ask for help getting Meals on Wheels.

What happens once I request to receive Meals on Wheels?

A Care Coordinator will call you and schedule an appointment for a nurse to visit for an assessment for services.

How long does it take to get the meals once I do a referral?

If there is not a waiting list for meals, the time frame is usually within a three week period.

I have several doctors’ appointments. What are the options for meals?

There are two options for meals. For those with many doctors’ appointment, we deliver frozen meals on a designated day, once per week. All others receive a hot meal, Monday – Friday.

Are there special meals for diabetics?

For those receiving hot meals, diabetics are served a therapeutic dessert.