Bruce Georgia

Director of Planning

Address25 Short Street
Suite 10
Dahlonega, GA 30533
HoursMonday - Friday; 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


There are no notices at this time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a copy of my property plat or deed?

You can get a copy of a recorded plat or deed for a property at the Clerk of Courts office. There office is located in the Judicial Center at 325 Riley Rd, Dahlonega, GA 30533. Their phone number is (706)864-3736.

What do I need to do to record my plat?

Plats need to be reviewed and approved by the Lumpkin County Planning Department before they can be recorded in the Clerk of Courts office.

What activities do I need a permit for?

Any person who shall erect, construct, alter, install, demolish or move any structure, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.

How do I get a building permit?

You may obtain a building permit through the planning office by providing the department with a plat of your property and a description of the work to be permitted. For new home construction a septic permit, a recorded plat of the property and a site plan showing driveway, septic, setbacks, and structure location needs to be provided. If you are within 200 feet of state waters an erosion control plan will also need to be submitted.

What are the stream buffers?

Stream buffers are 25 feet for warm water streams and 50 feet for Primary and secondary trout waters. Contact the Lumpkin County Planning Office to see if the stream is designated as warm water, Primary or Secondary.

Can I disturb the land within the stream buffers?

You cannot disturb inside a buffer without a buffer variance from the GA. Environmental Protection Division. Contact the Lumpkin County Planning Department prior to any disturbance within a stream buffer. Penalties could be stiff and are enforceable locally and through the state.

Do I need a sign permit?

Yes, all signs need to be permitted in Lumpkin County through the Planning Department.

Do I need a Business License (Occupational Tax Certificate)?

Any person within the unincorporated areas of the county who engages in or causes to be engaged in and/or represents himself to be engaged in any occupation or activity with the object of gain, benefit or advantage either directly or indirectly. Any person advertising by means, including, but not limited to, signs, cards, telephone books, circulars and newspapers, that he is engaged in any business of any kind, shall be liable for the appropriate occupation tax required. This includes peddlers, solicitors, transient merchants, mobile vendors and roadside vendors.

Does my business require a business license?

Any individual or business must obtain a business license from the city or county in which the primary place of business would be located.

  • A certificate of Occupancy is required for any commercial business prior to the application for license.
  • If you have a home-based business, a written statement from Landlord/owner is required that provides permission to operate in the home.

Do I need to register my business as a DBA (doing business as)?

The State of Georgia requires all businesses not registered as Corporations, Limited Liability Company, Limited or General Partnership to register their business name.  Lumpkin County cannot issue a business licenses without verification of this type of registration.  All registrations are done at the Lumpkin County Clerk of Court’s office located at 325 Riley Road, Dahlonega, GA  30533.  The only exception is for a sole proprietor, if the full legal name of the owner is part of the business name (example:  John J. Doe Wrecker Service).

What is an Employer Identification Number/Tax Identification number?

An EIN or TIN is used to identify a business entity.  (Consult a CPA or Tax Attorney)

What is a state license?

Some types of businesses will have to obtain an additional license from the federal government, while other businesses, occupations and professions are also licensed and regulated by the state and local authorities.

A state license is a certification through the State of Georgia.  Electricians, General Contractors, Plumbers, HVAC, Hair Salons, Nail Salons, Physicians, Dentists, Nurses, Veterinarians, Insurance Agents, Pest Control, etc.

Proof of certification is required to obtain a business license.

How to I obtain a state identification number?

State tax identification numbers are needed for any business that is selling a product, and are issued by the Georgia Department of Revenue at

What/When can I burn?

Trash or Household waste cannot be burned in Lumpkin County. Yard debris can be burned with a burn permit during certain times of the year (Oct 1 – Apr 31) and under the right weather conditions. Call 1-800-OK-2-BURN or visit to get a burn permit.

What are the building setbacks in Lumpkin County?

Setbacks in Lumpkin County are 20 feet on side and rear property lines and 50 feet from any road or easement not located in a subdivision in the front. Inside subdivisions the setback is 30 feet from the roads and easements.

Does Lumpkin County have zoning?

Lumpkin County currently has a performance based zoning referred to as the Lumpkin County Land Use Code which is a non traditional type of zoning that regulates uses through setbacks and buffers.

How do I get my private road turned over to the County?

There is an application and procedure for a private road to be adopted by the County. The application can be found here. Return completed application to the Planning Department, 25 Short St, Dahlonega, GA 30533.

How can I get an address?

Addresses are only assigned to structures, not land. An address is typically assigned during the building permit inspection process. To get an official e911 address assigned to a structure, or if you feel there is an error in addressing, please contact the Planning Department, (706) 864-6894.

Why is it important to post my address on my house?

Emergency responders need to be certain they are responding to the correct structure in the event of emergency. During an emergency situation, it is vital to be able to locate structures quickly when every second counts.

Department Staff

Bruce GeorgiaPlanning
Donna TaylorPlanning Office
Kim AbeePlanning
Jeff SmithEnvironmental Compliance
David WestBuilding